Re: Problem with JDBC version 8.0/1 vs. 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Problem with JDBC version 8.0/1 vs. 7.4
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, Bob Fischer wrote:

> I'm trying to run the SQL statement found below.  Meaning, if I have a
> String sql set to the big hunk of text below the '----', I then call
>     ResultSet rs = statement.executeQuery(sql);
>
> When I use the JDBC Driver v7.4, everything works just fine (and it
> returns some rows).  But when I use JDBC Driver v8.0 or v8.1, I get the
> following Exception:
>
> org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: No results were returned by the
> query.

Newer JDBC drivers return all of the results from a multi statement query
execution instead of just the last one.  You should call it like so:

stmt.execute("SELECT 1; UPDATE t SET a=1; SELECT 2;");
ResultSet rs = stmt.getResultSet();
stmt.getMoreResults();
int count = stmt.getUpdateCount();
rs = stmt.getResultSet();