Re: Driver does not report all catalogs - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Driver does not report all catalogs
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Martin Keller wrote:

> newer versions of the PostgreSQL JDBC driver don't return all databases of
> the server when calling DatabaseMetaData.getCatalogs(...).
> Can anyone tell me, why this change was neccessary? It's incompatible to JDBC
> spec and brakes existing code.

This was discussed quite some time ago, starting here:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2004-01/msg00154.php

The core issue is that while we can return a list of catalogs, you can't
do anything with them.  Connection.setCatalog does nothing.  Other
metadata methods ignore the catalog filter as well.  Pretending the other
catalogs don't exist makes certain applications work better, DBVisualizer
for example.  What are you using it for?

Kris Jurka