Re: BUG #2060: Issue with Data base connection - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: BUG #2060: Issue with Data base connection
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Manideep Kalisetty wrote:

> Bug reference:      2060
> Email address:      mani7deep@yahoo.com
> PostgreSQL version: 7.2.2
> Details:
>
> I am using postgresql-8.1dev-402.jdbc3.jar JDBC driver and websphere
> application server. Even though I am successfully closing connections, the
> error message I am receivng is "Backend start-up failed: FATAL 1:  Sorry,
> too many clients already". Please refer to the Exception report below:

Well, something is leaving connections open.  Checking the results of
SELECT * FROM pg_stat_activity; will tell you what database and username
they are connected to which may help.  While this code doesn't appear to
be using a connection pool, perhaps you have another application that is
using a pool that is configured to open too many connections?  Still, the
most likely cause is a coding error failing to close connections.

Kris Jurka