Re: Allow pooled connections to list all prepared queries - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Allow pooled connections to list all prepared queries
Date
Re: Allow pooled connections to list all prepared queries  (David Brown <dave@spoonguard.org>)
List pgsql-patches

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, David Brown wrote:

>     This would allow an application inheriting a pooled connection to know
>     the queries prepared in the current session.

I don't see this as all that helpful for a client interface that does the
preparation itself.  Possibly it could be used for libpq, but you
mentioned DBI which should already know what it has or has not prepared.
The idea of adding a network round trip to detect a prepared statement
seems like a performance loss, not a gain.  If this is just to avoid
repreparing the same statement then perhaps something like PREPARE OR
REPLACE would be more useful.

Kris Jurka