Re: Translation updates: errors_ru.properties - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Translation updates: errors_ru.properties
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004, Serguei A. Mokhov wrote:

> Peter E. and the pgAdmin team make it easier for translators by maintaing
> the pages [1] and [2], with the new strings automatically merged in, to
> ease up the job of translators who don't have necessarily the source tree
> installed and possibly gettext or otherwise tools.

Well these projects are a little different because they do use gettext
which automatically produces the po files.  We considered using gettext
for the JDBC driver, but kind of stalled because we did not want to add
any build dependencies.  We could do this by checking the compiled files
into cvs, but that isn't ideal either.  I'd still like to move to gettext
because I think the current system is error prone (and more work) for both
developers and translators.

> It'd be cool if the JDBC project had a similar page updated daily or some
> such, because it's a bit more tedious with the .properties files to find
> what's missing than with .po files.

There are probably tools to compare properties files and merge them
accordingly, but I'm not immediately aware of them.  The problem is when
the English message changes there is no way to notice and update the
translated message.  In the end I think the correct solution is to move to
gettext.

Kris Jurka