Re: "Idle in Transaction" revisited. - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: "Idle in Transaction" revisited.
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, John R Pierce wrote:

> I can think of a bunch of scenarios where this would cause problems...
>
> *  An service app that opens several connections for various threads,
>    and one or another of them goes idle for a long time ... No vacuuming
>    during this state.

This doesn't mean no vacuuming, only no vacuuming of old rows.  This can
be difficult to actually detect so it's probably happening to people
without them noticing.  They see a performance drop, but vacuum seems to
work, so they don't see anything really wrong.

> *  Thread has been idle for awhile, then goes to do a SELECT and it will
>    only see data that was committed prior to this threads last COMMIT.

This will only happen when working with serializable transaction
isolation, not read committed (which is the default).

Kris Jurka