Re: Problems with charsets, investigated... - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: Problems with charsets, investigated...
Date
List pgsql-jdbc

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Alexandre Aufrere wrote:

> Java correctly sets its file.encoding property to the charset specified
> in the LANG environment variable. However, it appears that whatever i
> set this variable to, the JDBC driver seems to use UTF-8.

I'm not sure what problem or issue you think this is addressing, but it is
not something we want to do.  The driver communicates with the server
using UTF-8, so you should not be adjusting this and it is entirely
transparent to the user.  What you do after retrieving data is your
business and you are welcome to save it or display it in any encoding you
desire, but the driver wants to communicate with the server using UTF-8.

Kris Jurka