Re: org.postgresql.PG_Stream.ReceiveChar(PG_Stream.java:143) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Kris Jurka
Subject Re: org.postgresql.PG_Stream.ReceiveChar(PG_Stream.java:143)
Date
List pgsql-sql

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, [iso-8859-1] Smita Marda wrote:

> Hi, I have been using SOFIA framework and postgres database as a
> backend. i noticed as the database started growing larger.. today
> encountered some error while firing a query to save a record. The table
> in which i am going to save the record, has two columns having datatype
> text. the data of these two column contains 2652 and 5817 characters. If
> I reduce some characters from both columns, it saves the record
> successfully. But i reduce some characters from only single
> column(whether it has 2652 chars or 5817 chars whereas both have the
> same datatype), it gives me the following error :--
>
> The backend has broken the connection. Possibly the
> action you have attempted has caused it to close.
>     at
> org.postgresql.PG_Stream.ReceiveChar(PG_Stream.java:143)
>     at

This looks like it could be a server crash.  Does the server's log show
anything informative?  Also you don't mention what server and JDBC driver
version you are using, but the stacktrace tells me the driver must be from
the 7.2 or earlier release.  If the server log doesn't reveal anything you
might try upgrading the JDBC driver to a later version.

Kris Jurka