Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From bpalmer
Subject Re: [mail] Re: Native Win32 sources
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > D'Arcy,
> >
> > In production the database servers are seperate multi-processor machines
> > with mirrored disks linked via Gigabit ethernet to the app server.
> >
> > In development I have people extremely familiar with MS, but not very hot
> > with Unix in any flavour, who are developing Java and PHP code which is then
> > passed into the QA phase where it's run on a replica of the production
> > environment.
> >
> > My goal is to allow my developers to work on the platform they know (MS),
> > using as many of the aspects of the production environment as possible (JVM
> > version, PHP version, and hopefully database version), without needing to
> > buy each new developer two machines, and incur the overhead of them
> > familiarising themselves with a flavour of Unix.

(from experience in a large .com web site)

Can you have a central DB server?  Do all the dev DB servers need to be
independent?  You could even have a machine w/ ip*(# developers) and bind
a postgresql to each ip for each developer (assuming you had enough
memory,  etc).

We used oracle once upon a time at my .com and used seperate schemas for
the seperate developers.  This may be tricky for your environment
because the developers would need to know what schema they would connect
to if all schemas were under the same pgsql instance.

- Brandon

              h: 201-798-4983b. palmer,  bpalmer@crimelabs.net           pgp:crimelabs.net/bpalmer.pgp5