Re: POSIX-style regular expressions - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Jore
Subject Re: POSIX-style regular expressions
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Goran Buzic wrote:

>     id1    char(6) NOT NULL CHECK(id1 ~* '^([0-9]{1,2}\.){2}$'),

> ERROR:    ExecAppend: rejected due to CHECK constraint table_name1_id1
>
> I tested preceding regular expression with Perl and JavaScript and it worked
> fine. Can I use regular expressions with CHECK parametar, and if so, how can
> I make it work.

You should probably test it against PostgreSQL's regex engine. What you
may not know is that they all have different syntaxes, rules and quirks.
What works in one may or may not work in another.

So check out src/backend/regex and build retest (I think that's what it
was called). It's a command line regex tester (obviously against
PostgreSQL's implementation).

Joshua b. Jore -{ weird geeky madness }-> http://www.greentechnologist.org