Re: sequences what does ::text mean ? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Jore
Subject Re: sequences what does ::text mean ?
Date
List pgsql-novice
See and here thought that if you can specify a datatype then you
circumvent a type resolution or two. My understanding (which was largely
guessing after watching Josh Berkus) was that the atom 'seq_auteurs' is
considered to be of unknown type until it is needed for evaluation in an
expression. During evaluation the value is coerced into something more
specific. My thought was that if the value is pre-coerced then that saves
a run-time step.

Joshua b. Jore ; http://www.greentechnologist.org