Re: INSERT results - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Joshua b. Jore
Subject Re: INSERT results
Date
List pgsql-novice

So I'm not a libpq programmer. I would guess that you might have access to
the OID of the row and you could SELECT the id using that. Here's another
thought, define a function something like this:

CREATE FUNCTION foo(VARCHAR) RETURNS INTEGER AS '
DECLARE
    N ALIAS FOR $1;
    I INTEGER;
BEGIN
    -- maybe you have to select the value into the int
    I := nextval(''''idseq'''');
    INSERT INTO ....
    RETURN I;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' WITH (isstrict);

Also, there is a datatype named 'name'. You'll be happier if you rename
your "name" column to something else like "username".

Joshua b. Jore
http://www.greentechnologist.org