Re: Multiple Servers - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From C. Bensend
Subject Re: Multiple Servers
Date
List pgsql-admin
Sorry for the interruption into this discussion, but it
is very similar to the question I posted two weeks ago
(http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1027722).

I have since revised my ideas of how my databases should
be set up, ie:

    * Users need to have superuser access to their OWN
      databases
    * Users should not have the ability to create users
      or databases
    * Users _need_ to be able to create tables, modify
      tables, drop tables, etc

I hope that I don't need to run multiple postmasters to get
this done, as the DB machine is .. well .. needing some hardware
upgrades.

My own [twisted, non-programmer] logic tells me that I should
be able to create a database, add a user, and grant all on
<database> for that specific user.  But, my SQL abilities are
almost nil, and when I try to grant such things on a database,
it denies me (No, I don't recall the error.  Yes, I will
duplicate it and provide the _exact_ error).  :/

Specifics:  PostgreSQL 7.1.2, OpenBSD 2.9 (DB), OpenBSD 2.8 on
the client side.

If anyone can give me some hints on how to do this, I would be
VERY appreciative.

Benny

You see, we're leveraging the synergies of our existing open source
solution, without reliance on a single vendor.
Or in english: We use samba cause NT sucks ass.
                                                       --greg@rage.net