Re: macaddr data type issue - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Pilosov
Subject Re: macaddr data type issue
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> SQL-approved way to represent "missing data" is as a NULL; there's no
> rationale I can see for treating an all-zeroes address like this.
>
> There's also a special case in macaddr_in that accepts an empty input
> string as meaning an all-zeroes address.  This seems bogus as well.
>
> I'm inclined to rip out both special cases, so that an all-zeroes MAC
> address is handled exactly like any other address.  Comments?
Completely agreed. I stepped on this rake once. All zeros is a valid mac
address and is very different from null.

Thanks

--
Alex Pilosov            | http://www.acedsl.com/home.html
CTO - Acecape, Inc.     | AceDSL:The best ADSL in the world