Re: Re: REPLACE INTO table a la mySQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alex Pilosov
Subject Re: Re: REPLACE INTO table a la mySQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 11 Jun 2001, mlw wrote:

> >     Adding  another  trigger event type will break every existing
> >     DB schema that relies on custom triggers  to  ensure  logical
> >     data  integrity.  Thus  it  is  unacceptable  as  solution to
> >     support a non-standard feature - period.
> >
> >     The question "does this row exist" can only  be  answered  by
> >     looking  at  the primary key. Now BEFORE triggers are allowed
> >     to alter the key attributes, so the final primary  key  isn't
> >     known before they are executed.
> >
> >     Thus  the  DELETE then INSERT semantic might be the only way.
> >     Pretty havy  restriction,  making  the  entire  REPLACE  INTO
> >     somewhat useless IMHO.
>
> The only issue I have with your conclusion about DB schema is that
> REPLACE is not part of standard SQL, so we do not need be too
> concerned. Just give them a REPLACE trigger and be done with it. If
> that isn't good enough, in the FAQ, say that the standard way is
> insert or update.
I am not sure I like this: it is possible that someone's security is based
on triggers, and adding replace as a trigger will let them get around
it...Possibly this could be controlled by serverwide option
'enable_replace_into' or something like that for people with such setup..?

-alex