inet type/merge joins - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alex Pilosov
Subject inet type/merge joins
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I noticed that postgresql won't ever use a merge join when dealing with
inet types (for t1.ip=t2.ip, where merge is definitely the best method).
Delving into pg_operator, it appears that = for inet datatype is not
created with any left_sort_op/right_sort_op and thus won't merge won't be
possible. To me, this looks like an oversight, as (at least for inet
type), network_eq should be able to properly sort the data.

Anyone up to modify the catalog accordingly for 7.2?

(For cidr datatype this doesn't exactly apply, I think, because of all the
trickery with netmasks, network_eq may not properly sort the cidr data. I
need to think more about this)

Thanks
-alex