Raw devices (was Re: Berkeley DB license) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alex Pilosov
Subject Raw devices (was Re: Berkeley DB license)
Date
Re: Raw devices (was Re: Berkeley DB license)  ("Matthias Urlichs" <smurf@noris.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 20 May 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> And there is the problem of cache wiping, where a large sequential scan
> removes all other cached blocks from the buffer.  I don't know a way to
> prevent that one, though we could have large sequential scans reuse
> their own buffer, rather than grabbing the oldest buffer.

On some systems, you can specify (or hint) to the kernel that the file you
are reading should not be buffered.

The only (completely) real solution for this is to use raw devices,
uncached by the kernel, without any filesystem overhead...

Are there any plans to support that?