Re: JOIN vs. WHERE ... IN (subselect) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Chris Linstruth
Subject Re: JOIN vs. WHERE ... IN (subselect)
Date
List pgsql-sql
I was just given the following.  Not your exact query but replacing
WHERE IN with JOIN ... AS SUBSELECT fixed my performance problems.
This query wnet from 15-30 seconds to under a second.

I have attempted to research exactly what Mr. Arnold did, and found
nothing regarding JOIN ... AS SUBSELECT in the docs.  Any pointers
appreciated.

--
Chris Linstruth <cjl@qnet.com>
QNET

On Fri, 16 May 2003, Dean Gibson (DB Administrator) wrote:

> Using PostgreSQL 7.3.2 on Linux.
>
> One of the types of queries that I like to do on our database is:
>
> SELECT * FROM table1
>     WHERE indexed_column1 IN
>     (SELECT column2 FROM table2 WHERE <condition>);
>
> However, in our database table1 is quite large (~1M rows), and the above query takes "forever", EVEN IF table2
CONSISTSOF ONLY ONE ROW!

> However, my third-party SQL book says that the above is equivalent to:
>
> SELECT table1.* FROM table1, table2
>     WHERE indexed_column1 = column2 AND <condition>;
>
> And indeed, the above query executes virtually instantaneously if "<condition>" results in a small number of rows
fromtable2.

> I'm fairly new to SQL;  are they really equivalent?  If so, is there some reason that the first form is not
optimized/transformedinto the second form, or is this a planned enhancement?

> -- Dean
>
> ps: If indexed_column1 has the same name as column2, then the query:
>
> SELECT table1.* from table1
>     JOIN table2 USING( column )
>     WHERE <condition>;
>
> Also executes quickly.  I just like the readability of the first query above, but as they say, you gotta do what
works...