Re: how to easily reduce permissions? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From
Subject Re: how to easily reduce permissions?
Date
List pgsql-novice
Robert.....

> Is there a way to easily connect to a database with read-only access
> or do I have to create a new user, give that user read-only
> permission, and then log in as that user?

User permissions is one way, I think they are easy to change in a table,
trouble is I always have to play around to give myself the access I need,
after figuring it out I'm not likely to change it!  <grin>

I guess you could create a new user with limited permissions just to be
safe.

What I've done when 'experimenting' on a hot server is to create a test
database and use that.  As long as you and any scripts or programs you
write are working with that your real data is safe.  You can do a dump of
the real db and load it into your test database (if it doesn't have a
zillion rows of data) and learn, develop, and debug with that.

brew