Re: no value for numeric filed in SQL statement causes an error - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Michael Fork
Subject Re: no value for numeric filed in SQL statement causes an error
Date
List pgsql-sql
You can do it one of two ways, dynamically build your queries and leave
out fields that are blank (they will be set to the default value or, if
none is specified, NULL), i.e.:

INSERT INTO table (name, city) VALUES ('roger rabbit', 'carrot city');

or, assign a default value to the id variable, and update the variable if
the form field is not blank, leaving you with:

INSERT INTO table (name, id, city) VALUES ('roger rabbit', <<Default ID
Variable or Form Value Variable>>, 'carrot city');

You cannot put a column with any of the number types (int4, numeric,
etc.) into the field list and leave it blank, a value *must* be specified.

Michael Fork - CCNA - MCP - A+
Network Support - Toledo Internet Access - Toledo Ohio