Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Performance - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC Performance
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Ming-Hung Eng wrote:

> I want to copy a content of a Access table to a Postgres attached table via
> ODBC.
> There are 104000 entries.
>
> The problem is the operation take more than 3 hours !!!
>
> Do someone know why and what's wrong for me.

I've found for bulk copying like that, going through ODBC is terribly
efficient.  You might be better off dumong your Access table to some sort
of text-delimited file and using the COPY command in pgsql.  It is far
faster.

Als, check to see if you have the fsync option in use.  For bulk copying,
you will want to turn off the fsync funciton, since it slows down disk
operations.  Turn it back on, though, if you want to do transactional
work or you could lose data if your server crashes.

Brett W. McCoy                                                   http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
If you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all.    -- Ronald Reagan