Re: [SQL] Stepping/Paging Through Rows - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: [SQL] Stepping/Paging Through Rows
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Dan Parker wrote:

> I learned about cursors and they solved part of the problem - I created a
> form with Perl/Tk with buttons to move forward a row and backwards a
> row and that seems to be fine.
>
> There are a couple of features I would like to have that I can't figure
> out how I'd implement.  For example, lets say I want to add a new row to
> the table.  I press an 'Add' button, the form goes blank, and I key in all
> of the information.  I press an 'Update' button and behind the scenes
> things whirl around and update the record in the database.  No problem.
> But let's say now I want to return the user back to the browsing form and
> place them on the row they just entered (while still being able to "page"
> through the rows with the forward and back buttons).   I'm stuck. If I
> create a new cursor, I'm back at the beginning of the table - there
> doesn't seem to be a way to find a particular row and placing the
> cursor there after creating the cursor.

Have you looked at pgAccess yet?  It's an application written in Tcl/Tk
that allows you to build and administer PostgreSQL databases in a manner
very similar to MS-Access (hence the name, I guess...)  The author of
that software has probably already done a lot of what you are trying to
do.  It can be found at http://www.flex.ro/pgaccess.  I believe there may
even be a mailing list for it, but you can definitely get more direct
information on the INTERFACES mailing list.

Brett W. McCoy
                                         http://www.lan2wan.com/~bmccoy
Love at first sight is one of the greatest labor-saving devices the
world has ever seen.