Re: question about Postgresql and rsync - Mailing list pgsql-general

From brew@theMode.com
Subject Re: question about Postgresql and rsync
Date
List pgsql-general
Tony.....

> I need to create a exact duplicate for a disaster recovery server, the
> disaster recovery server would not be in use until the production one
> went down for some reason.

While it's not what you asked about, copying the database files, what I do
is pg_dump nightly with a cronjob, then use rsync to copy it to my backup
machine and load it into the backup server with a cronjob there.

That way if the main server crashes or is down the backup server is never
more than a day out of date.

Obviously this is a server with relatively small databases that can stand
the chance of some loss of data (it's a website server).  I could make it
better by doing this every hour or so.

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
  Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website  http://www.callpix.com