Re: Poll on your LAPP Preferences - Mailing list pgsql-general

From brew@theMode.com
Subject Re: Poll on your LAPP Preferences
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris.....

> >If it's a Linux-Apache-PHP-PostgreSQL web app you only need one user, the
> >one your PHP script logs in as.

> Who says?  I sometimes require that the PHP app logs into the database
> with the username/password suppled by the user.  This makes it easier to
> manage permissions.  Of course you cannot use connection pooling in this
> case without a partial rewrite of your app...

I said that.

Let me rephrase it.  As a minimum, the way website PHP scripts typically
connect to PostgreSQL, you only need one user.

Conversely, you could trust anybody on the machine.  If you are on a
dedicated machine and nobody else has access it's as secure as the
machine.  However, some potential users of the app won't have secure
dedicated machines, so I think that would be a bad idea.

OTOH, you could have many postgresql user/password logins, like some of
your (Chris') websites.

How common is it to have the website user names carry through to the
postgresql user login?  I don't see the advantage to it, I just have a web
username table in the database, but my websites are fairly simple, you
either have access to a private area or you don't.

brew

                  Strange Brew   (brew@theMode.com)
  Check out my Stock Option Covered Call website  http://www.callpix.com
     and my Musician's Online Database Exchange http://www.TheMode.com