Re: What is the fastest way to get a resultset - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff
Subject Re: What is the fastest way to get a resultset
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Bupp Phillips wrote:

> I have a table that has 103,000 records in it (record size is about 953
> bytes) and when I do a select all (select * from <table>) it takes a
> whopping 30 secs for the data to return!!
>
> SQLServer on the other hand takes 6 secs, but you can also use what is
> called a firehose cursor, which will return the data in < 1 sec.

You probably want a cursor.
Typically what happens is postgres sends _all_ the data to the client -
which can be rather substantial.  A cursor allows you to say "get me the
first 1000 records. now the next 1000" - it should get you the speed you
want.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/