Re: Database user with privelege to create additional users - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From brew@theMode.com
Subject Re: Database user with privelege to create additional users
Date
List pgsql-novice
> I recently became a postgres user by subscribing to a web host with
> postgres support.  I began by creating a database in my account and
> found that a user with the same name seemed to be automatically created.
> However, when I connect to this database and user I do not have
> priveleges to create additional users.

Most likely your web host didn't grant you that privelege.

You probably don't need it.  Especially for typical web hosting database
needs where all your database connections will be through the web server
by scripts that you write and will give your user name (and maybe a
password, too) if needed.  If you plan on letting users connect directly
to the database with a client application beyond serving web pages through
your website server you might need to create users, I guess, but then you
probably wouldn't be using a 'web' host.

Users in this case is the owner of the database cluster (you) not the
users of your website.  If you plan to organize 'users' on your website
you write a script to keep them in a table in your database and so
forth.......

You can more likely create more database clusters under yourself.  Again,
this, too, may be overkill.  Unless you have two wildly different uses of
the sets of data you'd probably be better off just putting it in separate
tables.

brew