Re: how to refer to tables in another database( or schema) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mark Stosberg
Subject Re: how to refer to tables in another database( or schema)
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Jiaqing wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I'm still new here and new to PostgreSQL, I'd like to know that after I
> > have created two databases on my site, such as one is called backend, and
> > another one is called admin, how do I refer(query) the table from backend
> > while I'm connected to admin database, or is it possible to do that in
> > PostgreSQL? any answer is appreciated.
>
> In addition to previous answers (dblink related), in 7.3 schemas will
> be implemented and you may be able to use one database with two schemas
> in which case normal sql should work.  This isn't out yet, so it's a
> future concern.

One problem space that I think either of these solutions might address
is the issue of having static "country code" and "state code" tables
reproduced on many databases throughout an installation. Would anyone
recommend either of these solutions, or another one, for addressing this
issue?

I'm not looking forward to the day when a new country appears,
and I have to find all the places I have country code lists to add it.
:)
 -mark

http://mark.stosberg.com/