Re: Event recurrence - in database or in application code ???? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mark Stosberg
Subject Re: Event recurrence - in database or in application code ????
Date
List pgsql-sql
On 21 Aug 2002, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 22:15, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> >
> > Hello Darrin,
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > I've been happy with this solution. I think the Perl turned out to be
> > fairly easy to understand and maintain, the SQL that needs to be used
> > ends up being fairly straightforward, and the performance is good
> > because the selects to view the calendar are fairly simple. The one
> > drawback is that sometime before 2028, I have to remember to add some
> > rows to the calendar table. :)
> >

> You need to add rows as well as re-populate a bunch of info for
> recurring dates that are not listed forward right?

Perhaps this will answer your question Robert-- one point I didn't
mention before is that I don't allow events events to recur forever,
they have end after some finite number of times. You could add a
birthday and tell it to repeat it once a year for the next 100 years for
example. I wouldn't have to go and add rows for these later though-- the
rows needed for the next 100 years would already be generated in the
events_calendar table.
The only thing that "expires" with my solution is the dates in the
calendar table. I could make the dates run for the next 100 years just
as easy as 28 years, I just figured the system would probably get a significant
revamp sometime in the next quarter century.  :)
 -mark

http://mark.stosberg.com/