Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >

> > > I have to admit you hit on exactly why I worded the original as I did.
> > > It emphasizes the commonality of the two licenses, and specifically
> > > points out the the part of the GPL that we don't like, without slamming
> > > it.
> >
> > That wording invites responses from people who want to give you reasons
> > to change it.  Do you want to put the issue to bed or invite more debate?
>
> I guess my goal is to have a paragraph that tries to show the value of
> the BSD license.  Saying we just don't like the GPL isn't telling people
> what we dislike about it. It opens up questions of why we don't like it,

It's really noone's business why any of us dislike it.  My reasons may
or may not be different than yours which may/may not be different from
Marc's, and so on.  Why try to summarize everyone's feelings when it's
unnecessary.  My statement never said that we just don't like it, it
was clear that many of the developers were uncomfortable with its
restrictions.  Break it down.  What are "many of the developers"
uncomfortable with?  The GPL's restrictions.  What's not clear about
that?  It didn't say "many of the developers just don't like it", that
would border on confrontational.  You're not going to change the minds
of those that favor GPL just as you're not going to change the minds
of those that prefer BSD.

Vince.