Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Licence: GNU/GPL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > It's really noone's business why any of us dislike it.  My reasons may
> > or may not be different than yours which may/may not be different from
> > Marc's, and so on.  Why try to summarize everyone's feelings when it's
> > unnecessary.  My statement never said that we just don't like it, it
> > was clear that many of the developers were uncomfortable with its
> > restrictions.  Break it down.  What are "many of the developers"
> > uncomfortable with?  The GPL's restrictions.  What's not clear about
> > that?  It didn't say "many of the developers just don't like it", that
> > would border on confrontational.  You're not going to change the minds
> > of those that favor GPL just as you're not going to change the minds
> > of those that prefer BSD.
>
> Isn't it the restrictions on proprietary use that we dislike?  Seems we
> should say that in there.

Define we.  Are you sure that that's *everyone's* dislike?  Are you
sure there aren't other reasons - Tom mentioned it's viral nature
for one thing, which happens to be one of my dislikes but it's not
the only one.  Say that restriction was changed in the GPL, would
you then want to change PostgreSQL to GPL?  You might, but I doubt
everyone would (and I'm sure Marc wouldn't).

Vince.