Re: A patch for xlog.c - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: A patch for xlog.c
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > I always felt the real benefit of mmap() would be to remove use of SysV
> > > shared memory and use anon mmap() to prevent problems with SysV share
> > > memory limits.
> >
> > You'll still have memory limits to overcome ... per user memory limits
> > being one ... there is no such thing as a 'cure-all' ...
>
> Yes, but typical SysV shared memory limits are much lower than
> per-process limits.

well, come up with suitable patches for v7.2 and we can see where it goes
... you seem to think mmap() will do what we require, but, so far, have
been unable to convince anyone to dedicate the time to converting to using
it.  "having to raise/set SysV limits", IMHO, isn't worth the overhaul
that I see having to happen, but, if you can show us the benefits of doing
it other then removing a 'one time administrative config' of an OS, I
imagine that nobody will be able to argue it ...