Re: strange performance anomalies - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alex Hayward
Subject Re: strange performance anomalies
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 9 Aug 2002, Scott Shattuck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We recently put up a new 7.2.1 installation on Solaris 8 that serves a
> 24x7 e-commerce site. The system seems to run pretty well most of the
> time but we see a consistent form of performance anomaly.
>
> Watching pg_stat_activity the system spends most of it's time running
> smoothly with queries clearing through sub-second. We have a production
> job we run which immediately sent the site into a tailspin though.
> Starting that job caused hundreds of select statements to queue up in
> the pg_stat_activity view. This seems odd since MVCC would lead us to
> believe that shouldn't happen. Readers shouldn't block wholesale like
> that unless we're using DDL on the table or doing a vacuum per the
> online docs at
> http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/locking-tables.html
>
> Nevertheless, turning off foreign key constraint checking via:
>
> update "pg_class" set "reltriggers" = 0 where "relname" = tablename
>
> cleared up the problem, load fell off to normal in seconds. So how is it
> that fk contraints apparently cause what look like table-level locks?
> Or, at the very least, cause a heck of a lot of select statements to go
> into a holding pattern for some reason?

If you insert/update a row which contains foreign keys then PostgreSQL
will do a SELECT ... FOR UPDATE on the appropriate row in the primary key
table. This will block any SELECT ... FOR UPDATE, UPDATE or DELETE
statements affecting that row - including other foreign key checks. A
commonly referenced primary key value can become the subject of quite a
lot of lock contention; not to mention deadlocks.

PostgreSQL will do this for EVERY field in the row which is being modified
which has a foreign key constraint (unless that field is NULL). It will
perform this check even if that field is not being changed.

> At any rate, being somewhat new to tuning at this load level for PG I'm
> not sure if I'm supposed to be tinkering with max_lock_per_transaction
> here. Could this be evidence of a lock starvation issue or something?
> Guessing here and any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

You might be best off just turning off the foreign key checks on your
production server (or, at least, some of them) until someone gets round to
coming up with some sort of fix for PostgreSQL.