Re: Postgresql data backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Postgresql data backup
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 13 Sep 2001, [iso-8859-1] Rajkumar Selvaraj wrote:

> Please mail me ur replies on the following :
> 1).I would like to know how to stop users who have
> already opened up sessions with my database without
> stopping the postmaster
> service.
Well, the problem is that if you stop them, any modifications
done by those users in a transaction will be lost, but you
could probably kill the postgres processes opened for each
user.

> 2).I would also like to know whether the command
> pg_dump prevents any user from writing or modifying my
> database until
> th process is completed. If not,will it ensure
> transactional integrity until the backup process is
> completed ?
No it doesn't, but IIRC, pg_dump is going to run as one
transaction meaning that it should see a consistant state
of the database which wouldn't include any non-committed
transactions at the start of the dump.