Re: Regarding Vacuumdb - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Regarding Vacuumdb
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 31 Aug 2001, Shaun Thomas wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Bhuvaneswari wrote:
>
> > hi,
> > I am getting the following error while doing vacuumdb,
> >
> > ERROR: mdopen: couldn't open test1: No such file or directory
> > vacuumdb: database vacuum failed on db1.
>
> We got this error a lot in 6.5.  Usually it means your table has somehow
> been corrupted, and postgres doesn't want anything to do with it.  It'll
> show up, and you can even select from it, but doing so will crash the
> back-end, and you can't run a vacuum or pg_dump on that database
> successfully.
>
> You'll have to do a table-by-table pg_dump, destroy the DB, and reimport
> everything.  You'll have to rebuild the corrupted table from scratch,
> since you might not be able to dump it.
>
> Either way, it's a lot of work.  Just be careful.

Actually, this is probably a rolled-back drop, which means creating
the file such that the db can read/write to it and doing the drop (and not
rolling it back) will probably suffice, as per the responses to the
first time the message went through.