Re: How do I drop or change a foreign key? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: How do I drop or change a foreign key?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 wsheldah@lexmark.com wrote:

> After I created my tables, I went back and added foreign keys to them.  Now I
> need to change one of the foreign keys to 'ON DELETE CASCADE' behaviour so that
> related records are automatically deleted, rather than causing an error when a
> record in the parent table is deleted.  I know the name of the foreign key, but
> none of the standard 'drop' commands seem to apply to it.  Am I forced to move
> the data to a temp table, drop the table and recreate, then move the data back?
> Improvements to the ALTER commands are already high on my personal list of
> desired improvements; I run into this sort of thing fairly consistently as users
> change their minds or clarify their requirements.

I believe current source have a DROP CONSTRAINT, however for older
versions, you need to look up the trigger names for the constraint in
pg_trigger and use DROP TRIGGER (you'll need to double quote the name
because of the mixed case).