Re: int8 sequences --- small implementation problem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: int8 sequences --- small implementation problem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Jan Wieck <JanWieck@yahoo.com> writes:
> >     And he who needs that kind of long term row identifiers would
> >     be better off with 8-byte sequences anyway - IMNSVHO.
>
> What I need is a way to pad the struct declaration so that it leaves
> 8 bytes per int64 column, no matter what.  I thought of
>
> This would work, I think, but my goodness it's an ugly solution.
> Has any hacker got a better one?

The only thing I could think of is using a struct to hide the
padding details instead of directly using int64, but then you'd have to
add a '.value' or something to the references.  I'm not sure that's really
any cleaner.