Re: [BUGS] triggers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: [BUGS] triggers
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Martin Kuria wrote:

> Hi, I have a problem I am using postgresql database and I want to enforce
>    >triggers between my related tables ( tables with relationship), one
> table
>    >has a foreign key and the other the a primary key, I would like to use
>    >triggers to update, delete, and insert in this tables but the table with
> the
>    >foreign key should first check in the other table before any action is
>    >taken, Which is the simplest sql or C language script can I use to
> enforce
>    >triggers within my tables, please demonstrate a simple scenerio thanks

pgsql-bugs is definately not the place for this message (response to
-general).

Since I can't tell what you're precisely trying to do from the
explanation above, the easiest starting point is to look at the
documentation for triggers and then at techdocs.postgresql.org for
a couple trigger examples.

However, I don't believe you can guarantee that the foreign key trigger is
going to happen before your trigger.