Re: why does this select hang postgres??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: why does this select hang postgres???
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Jeremy Hansen wrote:

> select * from env_info,summary,plat_info;
>
> Is my statement broken?  Is this not legal?  Postgres just sits there....
>
> My goal is to select everything from multiple tables with one sql
> statement.

I don't think it's doing what you want.  You've asked for the
join of all three tables, ie, each row in env_info crossed
with each row of summary crossed with each row of plat_info
(so if say each table had 10^4 rows, you'd get like 10^12
rows out).