Re: Referential Integrity thru Views - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Referential Integrity thru Views
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Kapil Tilwani wrote:

>         Right now, I am enforcing uniqueness in three different tables
> (Supplier, Customer, Ledger) thru the front-end by checking thru a
> Union Query.  Is it possible to enforce such a uniquenessthru in the
> DB.

Do you mean you want uniqueness of ids across the three tables so that
Customer's id never duplicates a Supplier id for example?  If you're
using serial integer ids now (or a sequence), I'd suggest setting them all
to use the same sequence generator, barring wraparound, that should
guarantee uniqueness.

>         Irrespective of the above, is it possible to have a foreign
> key check in this (???)

It depends on what you mean.  As another poster said, if you mean
between those three tables individually, yes.  If you mean a foreign key
to a view itself, like a union view, no.