Re: inserting columns with values from a different table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: inserting columns with values from a different table
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Alexander Turchin wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This may be (hopefully) a very basic question, but I (admittedly, a
> pgsql newbie) cannot seem to be able to find an answer to it :(
>
> I have in my database tables, say A, B, and C, all of them referring to
> the same objects (e.g. table A contains customer's name, table B his/her
> purchases, and table C his/her address). I want to create a "master"
> table D whose rows would have some values from table A, some from B, and
> some from C (e.g. name, last purchase, and address). I know I can do an
> INSERT with SELECT - but that will only allow me to insert values from
> one table, not from all three (or more). Is there any way to do this in
> PostgreSQL?

Although you probably really want a view, insert...select should take
values from multiple tables if the select has multiple tables in its from.
insert into table select foo.col1, foo2.col2 from foo,foo2;
seems to work for me.