Re: SELECT updatability clause defective. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: SELECT updatability clause defective.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, 9 May 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> > Jerome O\'Neil (joneil@combimatrix.com) reports a bug with a severity of 2
>
> > SELECT updatability clause defective.
>
> Nope.
>
> > The syntax for select updatability clause is non-standard.
>
> That's not a bug.
>
> > While SQL-92 BNF describes it as
> >
> > SELECT ...
> >  [FOR UPDATE [OF <column name list>]]
>
> Chapter and verse?

I see it as part of declare cursor (13.1)

<updatability clause> ::=
    FOR { READ ONLY | UPDATE [ OF <column name list> ] }

However, I think the updatability clause means something
different than our for update.  If I'm reading it write, I think
it tells you whether or not you may do positioned updates on
the cursor.