Re: Duplicate constraint names in 7.0.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Duplicate constraint names in 7.0.3
Date
Re: Duplicate constraint names in 7.0.3  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
If I read the spec correctly, table constraint names are supposed to be
unique across a schema.  So technically the constraint name should also
not conflict with the name of an fk constraint, or a unique index.  In
addition, generated constraint names are supposed to follow the same
syntax rules (which includes the uniqueness) which seems to imply that
in cases like the below, that's not an error, and a different name should
be generated for the unnamed constraint.  However, unnamed column
constraints seem to get the empty string as a name.

I'd say don't worry about it for the purposes of drop constraint. :)