Re: [HACKERS] Re: PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From joseph@randomnetworks.com
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Re: PHPBuilder article -- Postgres vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, carl garland wrote:

# >perhaps why, even at 5 clients, the page views he shows never went
# >significantly above 10/sec?
#
# I think alot of it has to do with the web server/db setup not pg.  They are
# using Apache/PHP and looking at their code every page has the additional
# overhead of making the db connection.  Now if they had used AOLserver with
# its persistent db connecction pooling scheme they may have faired better ;)

    I haven't actually looked at their code they used to test with to
see if they are actually using it, but Apache/PHP has the ability to do
persistent db connections.  I would be surprised that someone like Tim (
who seems to have done a fair bit of php with db stuff) would not make use
of such a feature.

    If you can point out an example of where they are not using this
feature I will gladly stand corrected.

| Joseph Scott                       The Office Of Water Programs  |
| joseph@randomnetworks.com          joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu     |