Re: Re: [GENERAL] Query caching - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Re: [GENERAL] Query caching
Date
Re: Re: [GENERAL] Query caching
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> > query-caching
> > >
> > >  Sounds  amazing, but  requires some  research, I  guess. However,  in
> > many
> > > cases one  would be  more than  happy with  cahced connections.  Of
> > course,
> > > cahced query results  can be naturally added to that,  but just
> > connections
> > > are OK to start with. Security....
> >
> >     To me, it doesn't sound like it would be that difficult of a project, at
> > least not for the likes of the PostgreSQL developpers.  It also doesn't seem
> > like it would really introduce any security problems, not if it were done
> > inside of PostgreSQL.  Long ago, I got sidetracked from my endeavors in C,
> > and so I don't feel that I'm qualified to do it.  (otherwise, I would have
> > done it already. : ) )   If you wanted it done in Perl or Object Pascal, I
> > could help. : )
> >
> >     Here's a simple design that I was tossing back and forth.  Please
> > understand that I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, or even a good
> > way to do it.  Just a possible way to do it.  I haven't been able to give it
> > as much thought as I would like to.  Here goes.
> >
> > ------------
> > Implementation
> >

> [snip]
>
> Karel Zak <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz> Implemented stored proceedures for
> postgresql but still hasn't been approached to integrated them.

someone has to approach him to integrate them? *raised eyebrow*

Karel, where did things stand the last time this was brought up?  We
haven't gone beta yet, can you re-submit a patch for v7.1 before beta so
that we can integrate the changes?  *Maybe*, if possible, submit it such
that its a compile time option, so that its there if someone like Alfred
wants to be brave, but it won't zap everyone if there is a bug?