Re: Patch to make postmaster bind to only to localhost. - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Patch to make postmaster bind to only to localhost.
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >
> > > The big question is why we can't just scan pg_hba.conf and bind only
> > > to those ip's.  That way, we don't have to have a new flag.  It will
> > > all happen by default.
> >
> > huh?  pg_hba.conf references IPs on remote hosts ... won't you find i
> > tkinda difficult to bind to them? :)
>
> Well, we list the IP numbers we will accept connections from in
> pg_hba.conf.  If only on IP address appears on the file, why not just
> bind to that one only?

okay, unless my read of Steven's missed something, you cannot bind to *the
remote host* ... you can only bind to an IP on the local machine
... pg_hba.conf lists *remote hosts*, not local ones ...

Basically, binding means listening to a specific interface ... since the
remote host IP is not a local IP, you can't listen on that interface ...