Re: [HACKERS-OO] Re: Proposed new libpq API - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS-OO] Re: Proposed new libpq API
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Chris Bitmead wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:
>
> > One last comment .. when you say 'random access', are you saying that I
> > can't do a 'PQexec()' to get the results for a SELECT, use a for loop to
> > go through those results, and then start from i=0 to go through that loop
> > again without having to do a new SELECT on it?
>
> Random access means that the whole query result is in memory. If you
> choose to use PQflush then you will no longer be able to go back to 0
> and re-iterate. If you don't use PQflush then you can do what you do now
> which is go back and iterate through. If you use PQflush it means that
> you don't need to do that.

Okay, that sounds cool ... since nobody does the PQflush() during a
for() iteration now (I dont' believe), then old apps are fine, and this
does add a nice level of functionality as far as memory usage is concerned

Systems Administrator @ hub.org