Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Tim Perdue wrote:

> Benjamin Adida wrote:
>
> ...useless rant about all MySQL users being stupid inept programmers
> deleted....
>

> > PHP folks have a bias, too: PHP was built with MySQL in mind, it even ships
> > with MySQL drivers (and not Postgres). PHP's mediocre connection pooling
> > limits Postgres performance.
>
> Well the point of this article is obviously in relation to PHP. Yes,
> Rasmus Lerdorf himself uses MySQL and I'm sure Jan would say he's a
> "wannabee", not a "real developer".

I would seriously doubt that Jan wuld consider Rasmus a 'wannabee'
... Rasmus essentially built a Web optimized, HTML embedded language that
I imagine a *large* percentage of the sites on the 'Net rely on.  My
experience with the language is that it is clean and *very* easy to pick
up for simple stuff, with some nice, advanced tools for the more complex
issues ...

I use PHP with PgSQL almost exclusively now for my frontends, since its
got some *nice* features for retrieving the results of queries (ie. I love
being able to do a SELECT * and being able to retrive the results by the
field name instead of having to know the ordering) ...