Re: setproctitle() no longer used? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: setproctitle() no longer used?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 10 May 2000, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker writes:
>
> > Well, that would explain that, now, wouldn't it?  did we remove this
> > somewhere along the way? *raised eyebrow*
>
> There was no setproctitle in 6.5.* either.
>
> I'm guessing that the argv[0] = "the string you want" method no longer
> works in FreeBSD 4.0??? In any case, as per previous discussion, I did
> write up a more portable and robust setproctitle-like implementation for
> our use (which actually uses setproctitle if available), so if this is the
> problem it's at least being worked on.

D'oh, okay...I ended up going through the v6.5.* source code too, and
couldn't find it there.  I forget how Bruce had implemented it using
argv[0], and yes, it is definitely broken on FreeBSD 4.0 ...

I'll look at doing the change here locally, since I know
setproctitle() does work, as I find it invaluable to know what is running,
and where ...