Re: You're on SecurityFocus.com for the cleartext passwords. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: You're on SecurityFocus.com for the cleartext passwords.
Date
Re: You're on SecurityFocus.com for the cleartext passwords.  (Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 6 May 2000, Sverre H. Huseby wrote:

> Don't know if you know this already, but since april 23, you've been
> on SecurityFocus.com for the cleartext passwords in pg_shadow:
>
>     http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/1139
>
> I know it has been discussed at least a couple of times before, but in
> my opinion this is an issue that needs a solution.
>
> The problem with cleartext passwords is not just that root, postgres
> super user or anyone who has legally or illegally got access to the
> system can see the passwords a user uses to log in to PostgreSQL.  The
> problem lies in the well known fact that we tend to use the same
> password several places, if not everywhere.  With all the passwords
> needed these days, that is how it _has_ to be.
>
> The first PostgreSQL based site that gets cracked, will make headlines
> stating that passwords have got into the wrong hands.  Do we (or you)
> want that?

You've lost me here ... the only person(s) that can get at those passwords
are those that have compromised the system already.  Even if the passwords
*weren't* in cleartext, there is nothing that stops me from downloading
the data/* directory down to my computer and running pg_upgrade to "make
it my own", removing the passwords ...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org