Re: Corruption (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL?) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: Corruption (Was: Re: Why Not MySQL?)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 3 May 2000, Mitch Vincent wrote:

> > I don't have a GUI browser right, so searching the archives is kinda tough
> > for me :(  Can you refresh my memory for me?  There has to be something
> > logical to this, as to what the cause for the corruption is :(
>
> Ok, the latest thing was   "cannot find attribute 15 of relation pg_am" -- I
> got that when I tried to do an query.

Someone recently posted similar, and I swore he answered himself with a
'vacuuming fixed the problem' ... but I could be mis-quoting ...

> > Version of PostgreSQL?  Compile/configure options?  Do you have any core
> > files in your data/base/* hierarchy that would be the result of a backend
> > crashing?
>
> PG 6.5.3, no core files (this latest time at least, in the past there have
> been).
>
> As far as configure options, nothing, just the default configuration...

Okay, with v7.0, I'd recommend adding --enable-debug, so that if a core
does creep in, we can analyze it ...

My first and foremost recommendation is to upgrade to v7.0 first ... take
your test machine and make sure you have no problem with the dump/reload,
but v7.0 is, once more, leaps and bounds ahead of v6.5.3 ... no guarantees
it will make a difference, but at least it gets you into a release that
we're going to be focusing on debugging intensely over the next little
while ...